Friday, May 05, 2006

My CrackBerry and the USTPO


I'll start this post by saying that I am addicted to my BlackBerry. I rock the Verizon 7130t and while it's not as stable as the 957 or 7250 are, I love the size and phone integration. I know my old 7250 had a phone as well, but talking into that brick was not an enjoyable experience. The problem's with this device are battery life and occasional lockups (I've installed a lot crap from a lot of places...)

Anyway, when the NTP vs RIM law suite started to gain momentum at the end of last year, I was asked to research alternate mobile email methods. Of course ActiveSync or GoodLink are the answers, however neither of those are as solid a platform as BlackBerry (for email, calendar and contacts at least.) I get irked when I see companies with the sole purpose to obtain patents and use those patents to sue other companies. There seems to be a great need for reform of the patent process here in the states. I would like to see some sort of time window where a real product needs to be created from the patent. Like, say, 5 years from a patent being granted, you need to have a working prototype and plan to take that product to market. However, I do not see any of this happening...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home