Friday, May 05, 2006

Huxley

I'm sure you've all heard about Huxley by now. What? You have not? Does your rock come with a driveway and mailbox? Anyway, it appears to be a very ambitious MMOFPS (Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter) with some RPG goodness thrown in the mix. I would love to get all amped up about this game, but I played PlanetSide, so I cannot.

The idea behind an large scale FPS is very interesting and exciting, however it's just too difficult to pull off right. Ever play PlanetSide? It was a Sony Online Entertainment (EX folks) based around this same idea. I played it for a few months, and leveled up a couple of ranks. One of it's downfalls, for me at least, was the time it took for a battle to get started. You'd log in, check the map, see where the action is happening, spend the 5-15 minutes to get to the battle, and BLAM a airship would fly over head and blast you all to hell. Which leads me to another one of the issues I had with that game; Ranks in an FPS. I understand the need to put in ranks and leveling in RPGs, however those ideas typically contradict with the idea of an FPS. Having everyone on the same level playing field, all using their own skills to best each other is what I look for in an FPS. The problem with this is when you have people who can devote lots more time than others, and they are rewarded for their play time with more power, they can all too easily make in-game life difficult for those without the time.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the idea of an MMOFPS that works. I played (and still play a little) Battlefield 2. It's a really awesome FPS with up to 32 vs 32 at any time. Again, it can be all to frustrating at time due to some ace pilot in a bomber just nuking everything in sight, but another pilot on your side can counter that.

Anyway... check out some early screen shots of Huxley here. I really hope this game can pull it off, cause I love the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home